Skardu, the capital city of District Skardu, is a beautiful city that has mesmerizing beauty. Tourists from Pakistan and other countries eagerly visit Skardu to enjoy the grandeur of natural scenery. It has been termed as ‘the paradise for the mountaineers. The natural beauty of mountains, lakes, waterfalls, and snow attracts everyone to it. The spellbound beauty of Skardu has world fame among travelers and tourists.
Skardu is a small city in comparison to a metropolitan city and the residents mostly are linked with the tourism industry. However, the students are keenly interested in higher studies. For this reason, some prefer to go to the big cities of the country. We can’t declare that all kinds of degrees are available in Skardu. However, a major university and regional campuses of other universities are there to provide higher education in certain departments.
Facts about Universities in Skardu
- University of Baltistan, Skardu was established in 2017 with 4 departments of computer sciences, modern languages, business management, and educational development. Later, the Department of Biological Sciences was also added.
- Virtual University (VU) has a campus in Skardu to provide higher education degrees. It is a good opportunity for students seeking higher education degrees.
- Distant education is available on the platform of Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU).
- Some government degree colleges are providing BA, BS degrees in multiple disciplines.
- Public universities have affordable fee structures and scholarships for students.
- Transport facilities are available in all universities.
What is Education like in Skardu
- Skardu has a literacy rate of 62.8% including urban and rural areas.
- The University of Baltistan is offering scholarships to students to support their educational expenses.
- The UOB and VU have expanded to many departments to provide more opportunities to the local students.
- The primary, middle, and high school system has several educational institutions; however, the number shows that many children are not attending schools, even for early education.
- Karachi and Islamabad are two cities that accommodate the students from Skardu for degrees in medicine and engineering.
- The government of Gilgit-Baltistan is planning to establish medical and engineering universities, with the collaboration of the Federal government.
Quick Facts about Skardu
- Skardu, a climber’s paradise, is the gateway to the eight-thousandths of the Karakoram range. Foreign mountaineers are paying thousands of dollars to the Government of Pakistan for climbing the mountains.
- Local people are earning from the tourism and mountaineering expeditions in Skardu.
- Skardu is the city that has a road link to the base camp of K2, the second-highest peak in the world.
- Skardu has a cold desert, the wonder of the world, Katpana where the dunes are icy cold instead of hot.
- Skardu is the emblem of scenic beauty comprising lakes, forts, mountains, and waterfalls.
- Spring, autumn, summer, and winter are all beauty-enriched seasons in Skardu.
- Cherries, apricots, apples, almonds, and walnuts are natural gifts of Skardu.
- Khaplu Palace( built in1840 ) and Shigar Fort( built in the 17th century) are two historical and worth-watching places.
Jaamiah, an educational advisor platform, has been doing untiring efforts to bring well-researched and comprehensive information about the universities in Skardu. Students of Skardu can avail the opportunities that are available in Skardu in many fields. The existing universities have many departments and are increasing with time. Still, students have enough chances to acquire higher education. Jaamiah has done its best by compiling all the accessible information about the universities of Skardu.