Commonwealth Scholarships for Masters & PhD
The UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) provides funding for the Commonwealth PhD Scholarships, which are intended for outstanding and ambitious individuals who would otherwise be unable to afford to study in the UK.
The goal is to fund research that will have a positive impact on the development of countries in the Commonwealth. Individual teaching and research ability, as well as a greater capacity in academic and other sectors in the Commonwealth countries, will be bolstered by these prizes, which will contribute to UK higher education and research.
Search for More Scholarships
Commonwealth (CW) Scholarships are for candidates from low- and middle-income Commonwealth countries, for fulltime study (Masters & PhD) in United Kingdom. These scholarships are offered under following six themes:
- Science and technology for development
- Strengthening health systems and capacity
- Promoting global prosperity
- Strengthening global peace, security and governance
- Strengthening resilience and response to crises
- Access, inclusion and opportunity
Complete details of programs, eligibility, financial coverage/benefits, duration and further classification of themes of study offered for Commonwealth scholarships is available at following websites (please read thoroughly before applying)For
- Master: https://cscuk.fcdo.gov.uk/scholarships/commonwealth-masters-scholarships/
- For PhD: https://cscuk.fcdo.gov.uk/scholarships/commonwealth-phd-scholarships-for-least-developed-countries-and-fragile-states/
To apply for these scholarships, you must meet the eligibility requirements mentioned below:
- Be a Pakistani/AJ&K national & permanent resident of Pakistan/AJ&K. Dual nationals are not eligible.
- Be available to start your academic studies in the UK by the start of the UK academic year in September/October 2022
- For Master scholarship, applicant must hold a first-class degree in relevant postgraduate qualification (16 years Bachelors/master’s degree) in the relevant field of study by closing date of applications
- For PhD scholarship, applicant must hold a first-class degree in relevant postgraduate qualification (17/18 years Masters/MS/MPhil degree) in the relevant field of study by closing date of applications
- Maximum two-second divisions are allowed but candidate must not have second division in the terminal/last degree.
- Must apply under one of the themes as mentioned above and on the CSC website and candidate’s field of study must be in line with future development needs of Pakistan.
- NOT be registered for a Master or PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, at a UK university before September/October 2022
- NOT have commenced and be currently registered for a Master or PhD, or an MPhil leading to a PhD, in your home country or elsewhere
- Have the support of a potential supervisor from at least one UK university listed in your application form. (For PhD)
- Have provided all supporting documentation in the required format
- Be unable to afford to study in the UK without this scholarship
- Two references submitted online to UK application system.
- Must obtain minimum 70% marks in HEC Aptitude Test (HAT).
At least two letters of recommendation, supplied immediately to the online application system by the references (referees will be sent an email request)
Supporting statement from a possible supervisor in the United Kingdom, from at least one of the educational institutions indicated on your application form — provided directly by your proposed supervisor to the online application system (supervisors will be sent an email request).
To guarantee that their referees and potential supervisors are able to complete the references and supporting statements on time, the applicant must ensure that they receive the reference and statement requests from the admissions office (email request).
You are advised to complete and submit your application as soon as possible, as the online application system will be very busy in the days leading up to the application deadline
Applicants are required to submit online applications at the Commonwealth and HEC portal. Incase applicant fails to submit online application forms on BOTH websites mentioned at Step (1) & Step (2) below, their application will not be considered for further processing.
Step- 1 (Commonwealth Online Application)
- Apply online to Commonwealth (CW) Scholarship for Master & Doctoral studies (PhD) through their Electronic Application System (EAS) at:
- For Masters https://fs29.formsite.com/m3nCYq/tblglqacxe/index.html
- For PhD https://fs29.formsite.com/m3nCYq/0mie49l1ze/index.html
Step – 2 (HEC Online application)
- Apply online at HEC website: https://eportal.hec.gov.pk. After registering and filling your profile, please select “Learning Opportunities Abroad” under “Scholarship and Grant” menu in left hand side panel of the online portal.
- While submitting an online application at HEC website, do attach scan copy of deposit slip of Rs. 800/- (non-refundable) deposited in HEC online Account No. 17427900133401 in HBL, Sector H-9, Islamabad for HEC Aptitude Test (HAT) to be conducted by Education Testing Council (ETC). All payments are to be made to HEC through HBL online facility available across HBL branches in Pakistan.
* Before applying, kindly update your HEC eportal profile with latest email/cell number & updated information.
Application without submitting both Commonwealth Application form and online HEC form will not be entertained in any case (submitted applications must also be complete in all aspects)
Save your HEC online application & Commonwealth online application after successful submission to relevant portals.
Hardcopies of HEC application form (along with relevant academic documents viz. transcripts, equivalence for foreign degree, statement of purpose, research plan/proposal, copies of CNIC, Domicile) & submitted Commonwealth scholarship forms (proof of minimum 02 references & placement letter) may be kept saved. They will be taken from shortlisted candidates only
DO NOT SEND YOUR HARDCOPIES OF APPLICATIONS.