Allama Iqbal Open University, Islamabad
The Allama Iqbal Open University (AIOU) is a public sector university in Islamabad. The university is the world’s fourth-largest institution of higher education and learning, with an annual enrollment of 1,121,038 students, out of these most are women and course enrollment of 3,305,948. The university has 44 regional campuses and centers throughout Pakistan.
The Allama Iqbal Open University came into being in the month of May, the year 1974, with the main aim of giving educational chances to masses and to those who have issues in leaving their homes and jobs. During the past few years, the University has already fulfilled its promise.
It has given up educational opportunities for the people who are doing jobs and has given ingress to the females on their doorsteps. It has also done instigating work in the field of Mass Education. It is now bringing new platforms in the fields of professional, scientific, and technical education. It is also trying to tackle modern information Technology for extending education in Pakistan.
The motto of AIOU is ‘Education for All’.
AIOU is affiliated with Higher Education Commission (HEC).
The study in AIOU is semester-based. The academic year is split into two semesters i.e Spring and Autumn. General education and functional courses are offered every semester. Ph. D, M.Phil, M.Sc/M. Ed And Teacher Education Programmes are offered once a year. The study period for each semester generally ends 18 weeks, along with two weeks for exam preparation.
The University has instigated a large range of undergraduate, graduate, Master’s, M.Phil. and Doctoral programs. The University also provides basic functional courses for unlettered and semi-literates. These programs have given distinction to the University as compared to other educational institutions of Pakistan as it regales to the requirements of all age groups and education levels. The existing programs include Ph.D. Programmes, M. Phil Programmes, Master’s Programmes, B.Ed Programme, Bachelor Programmes, Higher Secondary School Certificate (Intermediate), Secondary School Certificate (Matric), Post Graduate Diploma (PGD), STEP/Functional Non Credit/Certificate Courses.
The merit scholarship will be there for the students enrolled in any program. The scholarship will provide an initiative to build competition among students. The students scoring 75% and above marks will be eligible for merit scholarship according to the availability of funds.
Selection Criteria for Undergraduate Programs
- Applicants must have 12 years of education with at least 45% marks (2nd division) or equivalent from a recognized institute.
- Students having A-level must provide an equivalence certificate by the Intermediate Board Committee of Chairmen (IBCC).
- 50% marks in the entry test.
Selection Criteria for Graduate Programs
- Applicants must have completed 16 years of education with 45% marks (2nd division) or equivalent or 2.5 CGPA
- GAT-General with a minimum 50% cumulative score will be required.
Selection Criteria for Postgraduate Programs
- 18 years of field related education From HEC recognized university with at least CGPA 3/4 or first division in annual system.
- GAT (subjective) with at least 50% marks.
Research and Development
Like ORIC is established in all the universities of Pakistan so AIOU also has ‘Office of Research, Innovation, and Commercialization’ for maintaining research culture at university. It also promotes the relationship between students and the industry. AIOU also arranged many conferences like
- 2nd International Conference on Recent Trends in Chemistry (24th-25th, Nov 2016)
- International Seerah Conference 2016 (8th-9th, Dec 2016)
- Development of National Policy for Open and Distance Learning (26th-27th, Dec
- National Graduate Conference 2017 (15-16,Mar 2017)
AIOU also has the following research journals:
- Global Media Journal
- Journal of Arabic Research (JAR)
- Journal of Pure and Applied Agriculture
- Journal of Librarianship & Information Sciences
- Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities
Seminars and Workshops
Seminars and workshops are very helpful for students they provide a platform to the students on which they can improve their skills. Students have the opportunity to exchange their ideas, build connections and learn from experts. AIOU arranged the following seminars:
- One-Day Seminar on “Entrepreneurship” on Thursday, 12th September 2019
- Seminar on 3D printing
- Seminar on Higher Education Textbook Commissioning Programme
- Seminar on Cyber Crime and National Security
What’s your feedback on that?
#COMSATS #CUI #Islamabad #Jaamiah