Rawalpindi, the 4th largest city by population, is famous because of its educational and business activities. It has earned fame due to being adjacent to the capital and both are called twin cities. Rawalpindi is famous among traders and businessmen who prefer this city due to peak business activities due to dense population.
Some say that most people here are settlers and belong to the nearby small towns and villages. To some extent, it is true because people are settled here because of their business, jobs, and education. Rawalpindi has a good network of educational institutes of all levels. Many universities offer graduate and postgraduate degrees in different disciplines of arts, science, technology, and business.
Facts about Universities in Rawalpindi
- Rawalpindi has a vast network of public and private universities that are providing multiple degree programs.
- PMAS-Arid Agriculture University, Fatimah Jinnah University for Women, Riphah University, and Foundation University are among the famous universities that are offering BA, BS, MA, MS, MPhil, and Ph.D. degrees for both genders.
- Rawalpindi Medical University, Army Medical College, National University of Medical Sciences, and Foundation Medical University are some famous medical universities.
- NUML and NCA Rawalpindi are the prestigious names of universities in the domain of arts and languages.
- MCS-NUST, NUST College of Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, APCOMS, and Barani Institute of Information Technology are some famous universities in engineering, IT, and commerce.
- All the public universities offer the facility of a hostel for the students of far-off areas.
What is education Like in Rawalpindi
- The literacy rate of Rawalpindi is 74% including urban and rural areas.
- The provincial government is responsible for providing funds to public universities. Therefore, people may feel a huge difference in the fee structure of private and public universities.
- Public and private universities offer different scholarship programs that enable many intelligent students to continue, who may have financial resources issues.
- Due to the economically active city, many students can get opportunities to work part-time to support themselves.
- The higher secondary education system of Rawalpindi is quite strong and helpful for students.
- Students are offered gender-based and co-education at different levels, however, professional universities mostly have co-education.
Quick Facts about Rawalpindi
- Rawalpindi has a long history, with a different name though. Jhanda Khan, a Muslim ruler, renamed it Rawalpindi after the name of Rawal village in 1493.
- It has fame for its active business activities for almost all occupations. Raja Bazar and Moti Bazar are the oldest market areas of Rawalpindi.
- Rawalpindi is also famous because of its neighboring mountain, Murree, Malka e Kohsaar.
- It is famous for its big hospitals like BBH, RIC, CMH, Shifa Hospital, and MH. People come here even from KPK and Azad Kashmir for treatment.
- It has a famous park, Ayub Park, that is famous as a good habitat for trees and animals.