Larkana city is the district headquarters of Larkana in Sindh and well known for its association with the famous political Bhutto family. Moreover, the name of the city is acquired from a tribe called “Larak.”
Education in Larkana
The educational status of Larkana is being improved with time. As per Pakistan Bureau of Statistics 2017, literacy rate in Larkana is 53.80%, and the male to female ratio is 47:34. Several schools, colleges, and universities are playing their role in hiking the level of educational development in the city. Most notable institutes include Cadet College Larkana, Chandka Medical College, and Sir Shahnawaz Bhutto Library Larkana.
Economy: The economy of Larkana relies on industries, agricultural products, and handicrafts. It is a hub of trade and commerce. Larkana is blessed with fertile land, except the mountainous region, producing rice, wheat, and fruits on an immense scale. Moreover, the textile industry, food manufacturing are the backbone of the area’s economy. Hundreds of industrial units are currently functional in the city. The cottage industry supports the poor people for their livelihood.
Universities in Larkana
- Quaid-e-Awam University of Engineering, Science and Technology, QUEST Larkana Campus: The University intends to deliver a high-quality education to Sindh’sSindh’s students and become a nationally recognized university for its academic brilliance and societal contributions. It provides large labs with up-to-date technology and high-tech equipment. The faculty consists of a bright and hardworking group of academics dedicated to the vision and goal.
- Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Medical University (SMBBMU) is a public sector university affiliated with PMDC, UHS, and CPSP. It facilitates the students with advanced research labs. The university also has a hospital serving the public with various disciplines.
- Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Institute of Science and Technology (SZABIST): SZABIST Larkana is committed to promoting a highly qualified workforce. It aims to meet current national and global needs by providing high-tech research and technical skills, tackling future issues, and embracing global citizenship roles.
Some facts about Larkana
- Larkana is known for having the most significant number of Holy Alams in the world. Therefore, this city is famous as the city of Alams.
- Former Prime Ministers Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and Benazir Bhutto are both buried in the ancestral cemetery in Larkana.
- The old name of Larkana was Chandka.
- In the era of Kalhoros, it served as the capital of Sindh.
- It was home to gardens, parks, and many archaeological buildings.
- It has the distinction of being one of the major cities of the Indus Valley Civilization in history. This region was named Mohenjo-Daro, which means Mound of Dead. UNESCO has recognized Mohenjo-Daro as the “World Heritage Site.”
- In the Empire of Kalhoros, Larkana had a distinguished position socially, economically, and culturally.
Population: According to the Census of Pakistan 2017, the current population is more than 4 million, making it the fourth most populous city of Sindh.
Foods: Larkana is home to some of Pakistan’sPakistan’s best cuisine, which incorporates elements from Central and Eastern Asia and the Middle East.
- Thai is a hot milk drink with coffee and saffron, while Khirni is a hot milk drink with cardamom and saffron.
- Larkana is also known for its numerous bakeries, which offer a wide variety of delectable sweets, cakes, pastries, and puddings.
- There is a railway station in Larkana that connects the city with other areas of the province. Railways also support the city to export agricultural and industrial products across Pakistan.
- Mohenjo Daro Airport is also giving its services, located at the south of Larkana.
- Quick bus service is available for the moment across Pakistan.
Weather: The climate of Larkana is arid, with scorching summers and mild winters. The annual rainfall is more than 125 mm, with the monsoon season making up the majority of it.
Visiting Places: Top Attractions in Larkana Mohenjo-Daro, Shahnawaz Bhutto Public Library Larkana, Eid Gah Mosque, Larkana Cricket Stadium, Gari Khuda Bux, Jinnah Park, Bhutto Family Mausoleum, and Zulfiqar Bagh.
Jaamiah is working to provide the most up-to-date information on all of Larkana’s universities. It has created a free platform for students to use to assist them in selecting the best institute for their higher education. Furthermore, it offers thorough information on tuition costs, public reviews, location, and other information essential for university admission and filters that allow students to quickly obtain the information they need for admission in their subject of interest. Some universities also offer online courses so that students interested in distance education can take advantage of them and get online degrees in specific fields. Also, poor students can receive financial aid and scholarships to help them finish their studies.