Gilgit city is the capital of Gilgit-Baltistan, having two nearby rivers Gilgit river and Hunza river, is a tourist’s favorite place in Pakistan. The city is also a favorite place for mountain-related sports. It lies in the Karakoram mountain range. Gilgit City, which was once known as a center of Buddhism, is connected to China and on the other side, it is connected to Skardu, Chitral, Peshawar, and the capital of Pakistan Islamabad through Karakoram Highway and other roads. Economically, agriculture is the main source of income for local people. However, tourism is also a source of income for the local communities.
According to the ASER Survey2015, the city has an 85% enrollment rate however Pakistan’s national enrollment rate is 81%. Meanwhile, Gilgit Baltistan’s literacy rate is 37.8%. It is also pertinent to mention here that at the time of independence there was no educational system in Gilgit Baltistan. There were some students who had gotten an education from different cities of Pakistan and they started teaching in Gilgit Baltistan.
Facts about Universities in Gilgit
- The institution for higher education in Gilgit is Karakoram International University.
- University has an institute of professional development which offers various training to its students and to the people who cannot afford regular education.
- Karakoram International University was established in 2002. It is a federally funded institution in Gilgit Baltistan.
- The institution of professional development has been providing professional training in the field of engineering, construction, IT, mining sector, agricultural farming, and many more since 2008.
- At the time, Karakoram International University had 3800 students enrolled.
- The university has four campuses and 20 plus departments.
- Digital library, KIU Newsletters, and Microsoft for all are some distinctive products of the university.
- Aga Khan Higher Secondary School Gilgit is also the part of Gilgit city
What is education like in Gilgit?
- Out of 148 total districts of Pakistan, Gilgit has the 35th number in terms of education.
- The city stood at 67th in terms of educational infrastructure and facilities according to Alif Ailaan
Quick Facts about Gilgit
- It has three tehsils Danyor Tehsil, Gilgit Tehsil and Juglot Tehsil.
- It has a peak which lies at number 7th In the list of highest peaks of Pakistan and at number 19th in the list of world highest peaks.
- According to the census of 2017, the population of the city is 330000.
- The city has various rivers and lakes which add beauty to the location of the city and make it attractive for tourists.
- The snowfall in winter also makes the city more beautiful and attractive.
- Special traditional food and traditional dresses are also the distinctive qualities of Gilgit city.
- The city also has its distinctive set of music and dance which the international tourists like so much.
- Polo is a popular game in the city. People of Gilgit arrange various competitions of polo to entertain the public.
Below is a comprehensive list of all major universities in Gilgit. Here, Jaamiah provides reliable data and information on the latest updates about tuition fees, accreditation details, videos, photos, location maps, reviews of the community, and ratings. The purpose is to help you find the best university in Gilgit.
All the universities and colleges in Gilgit are detailed here on the Jaamiah Platform. You can look up the courses offered by the universities as well as their tuition fees. It allows students to select the best suitable university or college for their bachelor’s, master’s, or doctorate programs from the comfort of their home. Also, the students can run a comparative data analysis to choose among the different universities in Gilgit. Meanwhile, Jaamiah provides the student with relevant information to the students to enable them to decide whether the city is suitable and affordable for them to start and continue their education or not. Many universities in Gilgit offer scholarships. Jaamiah informs students about these scholarships with timelines for applications as well.